In preparing for our recent trip we found some fun and interesting Puerto Vallarta facts to share about this fabulous Pacific Coast Mexican city. Here are some we tweeted:
1. Puerto Vallarta Facts: Puerto Vallarta and Seattle were founded in 1851
2.Vallarta FUN Facts: The first ad for vacations to Puerto Vallarta was in 1942
3.Puerto Vallarta Facts: John Huston’s 1963 movie NIght of the Iguana was filmed not far from Dreams Resorts Puerto Vallarta
4.Vallarta FUN Facts: 3 rivers run through Puerto Vallarta -Cuale, the Pitillal, and the Ameca
5.Puerto Vallarta Facts: Puerto Vallarta is located in the state of Jalisco, while Nuevo Vallarta is in Nayarit
6. Vallarta FUN Facts; Puerto Vallarta is a popular tourism destination with both national and international tourists
7. Puerto Vallarta FUN Facts: PV was named “The Friendliest City in the World”
8. Vallarta FUN Fact: It’s easy to get around in Vallarta- the city & surrounding area has a very good bus system
9. Puerto Vallarta Facts: Vallarta is located between the Sierra Madre Mountains & the 7th largest bay in the world- Banderas Bay which is the largest in Mexico and 2nd largest in North America
10. Vallarta FUN Fact: Vallarta is only a 3 hour flight from LAX, Dallas, and about 4.5 from Seattle, Chicago, NYC.
11. Puerto Vallarta Facts: at least 5 different species of sea turtles nest on the beaches of Vallarta
12. VallartaFUN Fact: In the warm water of Vallarta’s bays humpback whales and calves can be seen in the winter months
13. Puerto Vallarta Facts: 3 species of dolphins can be seen in the area– bottle nose, spotted and dusky.
14. VallartaFun Fact: Vallarta is full of fresh fruits- coconut, banana, watermelon, pineapple, guamuchil, mango, guava, jacka fruit & avocado
15. Puerto Vallarta Facts: 45 restaurants feature 3 course menus in Restaurant Week May 15-31 from 189-299 pesos. #FOODIES
16. VallartaFUN Fact: 930am Tuesdays- Public Sculpture Tours are led by Gary Thompson, owner of Galleria Pacifico
17. Puerto Vallarta Facts: The Malecon– seaside boardwalk stretches 3 km -a little less than 2 miles
18.VallartaFUN Fact: it took 33 years to build Vallarta’s iconic Church of Our Lady of Guadalupe
19. Puerto Vallarta Facts: The town of Tequila, just 3 hour bus trip from Vallarta, was named a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2006
20. #VallartaFUN Fact: This region, the state of Jalisco, is the where the majority of tequila is distilled.
21. Puerto Vallarta Facts: Regional dishes include seafood burritos, ceviche- seafood cocktail, pozole-hominy in pork broth, fish on a stick
22. Vallarta FUN Fact: 17 galleries host Old Town Art Walk every Wed 6-10pm during the winter/spring season.
23. Puerto Vallarta Facts: Terra Noble-an open air adobe day spa overlooking Vallarta also offers clay workshops to learn to make traditional pottery
24. Vallarta FUN Fact: There are over 90 hotels with more than 18,000 rooms in 5 areas in Puerto Vallarta -There’s something for everyone!
25. Puerto Vallarta FUN Fact: Vallarta is the 2nd most visited resort city in Mexico-over 2 MILLION visitors a year
26. Vallarta FUN Fact: 10-15% tips (propinas) are customary. Your server wont bring your bill til you ask for it -La cuenta por favor (la quen-ta por fa-vor)
27 Puerto Vallarta Facts: Puerto Vallarta is the most welcoming & gay friendly destination in Mexico
What do you know about Puerto Vallarta? Please share your Puerto Vallarta facts below in the comments section.